Men face unique health issues because of lifestyle, physiology and other factors. Jackson Care Connect’s benefits cover physical, dental and mental health care and substance use treatment.
The most common health issues for men are listed here:
- Heart disease. Stress, nutrition, and sleep can all contribute to heart disease for men. (See the CDC’s webpage on heart disease signs and symptoms.)
- Respiratory diseases. COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), lung cancer and other respiratory diseases are common for men. Quitting tobacco can greatly reduce the risk of these illnesses.
- Depression and suicide. Caring for your mental health is vital. It’s also a covered Columbia Pacific benefit.
- Alcohol use. Overuse of alcohol is related to another health risk for men, liver disease.
- Diabetes. Diet and other factors can lead to various types of diabetes, particular Type 2 diabetes.
- Flu/pneumonia. Particularly as men get older, the risk of serious flu or pneumonia increases. Get your free, easy flu shot and a pneumonia vaccine.
- Prostate cancer/colon cancer. It’s important to receive regular health screenings for these common types of cancer.
Make an appointment with your provider if you want to discuss any of these issues, or if you think you are at risk of them.
There are many things you can do to improve your health and prevent illness:
- Get enough sleep. You need seven to nine hours of sleep a night. Less sleep is connected with conditions like diabetes, heart disease, obesity and depression. Lack of sleep also contributes to accidents and injuries.
- Quit smoking. It’s never too late. Quitting smoking has immediate and long-term benefits. It improves your health and lowers your risk of heart disease and cancer (the top two causes of death for men), lung disease and more. This means quitting chewing tobacco and vaping, too. Click here to learn more.
- Increase activity. At least two to three hours of moderately intense activity every week is recommended. If your activity also strengthens major muscle groups (legs, hips, back, abdomen, chest, shoulders and arms), that’s an added benefit. Spread your activity out during the week and break it into smaller amounts of time.
- Eat well. A variety of fruit and vegetables every day gets you vitamins and minerals that help protect you from disease. Avoid food and drinks with a lot of calories, sugar, salt, fat and alcohol.
- Lower your stress. Feeling overwhelmed and out of control is unhealthy. Find support. Stay connected to your friends and family. Avoid drugs and alcohol. Maintain your physical activity.
- Get your shots. Everyone needs vaccines to stay healthy, at every age. Your doctor will know what you need. Get your flu shot every fall to avoid getting sick.
Let us help you
Send us a secure message through our Member Portal at jacksoncareconnect.org/portal or call us at 541-500-0567, toll-free 855-722-8208 or TTY 711. We can help you get started with your benefits.